So, I tend to do a lot of crafting. Generally it’s just things I have seen that I like and don’t want to pay for, so I try and do it myself. And with the amazing invention of Pinterest the possibilities are endless!
The amount of “crafting” that I do it almost endless. I don’t think I spend a single day not working on one project or another. And yes, I have an etsy shop but considering the fact that I spend most of my time crafting for personal projects…I just can’t build it up the way I would like. I make sales, and it’s fun…but it certainly isn’t a business for me. All of that being said, as a photographer I love taking photos of pretty much everything in my life. And I have thousands of unedited photos of nothing in particular, of things that interest no one but me, of blurry photos of my kids that I can’t being myself to delete. I hoard photos. And among those photos are my attempts at tutorializing (spellcheck says that’s not a word…but I like it so I say it is.) some of the projects I have done. Well…a tutorial requires not only photos being taken but directions to accompany them. So I haven’t really gotten around to that. But the most recent project I did (inspired by this tutorial…and while searching for that link for you guys I noticed this one too that I’m going to have to check out! You have to scroll down to find it, but it’s there.) doesn’t need a whole lot of explanation.
So here I am, my very first “tutorial”!
I got this case from the antique mall here in Santa Clarita. Most people don’t know this about me…but I am obsessed with baskets and cases/suitcases. This project attempt was only a jumping-off point for future projects of it’s kind. But this is how I got it, it was about $30, can’t remember exactly, but as you can see it wasn’t in the best shape. (Don’t get me wrong…I’ve totally been using it in this condition for about a year now!)
So first things first, I had to rip the existing parts out. It’s funny how it still had that “old lady” smell to it. You know, the floral perfume and talcum powder smell? No? Just me? Reminds me of my Bubba.
Then I chose my organic fabric I wanted to cover it with. (Ordered it here LOVE the “oatmeal linen”), Sketched out what I planned on doing, and removed the hardware…AKA the handle.
And here is why I haven’t done tutorials…I didn’t really take pictures of the whole process, but first I used some good ol’ PVA glue (elmer’s glue) and glued the oatmeal linen all around the outside. I tried shoving the fabric into the space between the metal band and the base, but it wasn’t a perfect science, so I added the white rope with fabric glue (because I figured it was fabric on fabric and maybe would hold better? I’m no expert.)
I then painted the handle and noticed a band around the top of the bottom section and coordinated those colors. I later modge podged the handle as well because it already started to chip, and I’m hoping that will help keep it from coming off. I was dumb enough to put the handle back on before I was finished and it got beaten up during the construction of the inside.
The inside was so much harder than expected. I sewed it all together first, like an inside lining to a purse, and made the tops of the pockets elastic…because that’s how the original was…but then because of that the fabric wasn’t staying the right shape during dry time. So I used some clamps to keep it in place…but later found the PVA glue wasn’t going to cut it. So I turned to my E6000 to get it to stay.
The mirror was a challenge too. I knew I wanted it to be able to come out as it could in the original design…but again there was the issue with the elastic pulling the fabric. I’ll have to figure out an alternative for future projects, but E6000 and having the mirror in (to stretch the elastic) did the trick. (Ignore the disaster behind my craft table…my craft room is half the garage.)
And viola! A perdy new case. And it matches my organic Apple&Bee case that I found at Whole Foods!
And it’s ready to go to Vegas with me!